There’s a lot of negativity attached to single parenting. It’s not ALL bad, though. So I am taking it upon myself to find and share the silver lining.
- Nobody else puts money in your bank account-but nobody else is spending it, either.
- If I don’t want to, I don’t have to watch football, baseball, basketball, car shows, car crashes, people shooting each other, or shows with unnecessary nearly nude women.
- My son and I can eat any time we’re hungry. We had dinner at 3:20 pm yesterday. Then we had big snack later.
- You have no idea how much less laundry there is when there are just the two of us. Bonus: no dirty socks in my bathroom sink! (My ex’s favorite dirty sock spot)
- If the house is a mess, I at least know for sure that it’s my fault…or Spencer’s.
- So many of my friends seem to ask their husbands for permission to do things. I don’t need permission!
- If I wanted, I could decorate my room in hot pink Hello Kitty stuff. I don’t want to (anymore….years ago though….) but I could.
- I make the rules. I reinforce the rules. There is no going behind my back to dad.
- There is a sense of satisfaction knowing that I am doing it on my own. I am making it on my own. I am raising a very sweet, very kind little boy. Alone.
- If I want to sit on the couch in big baggy sweatpants and eat ice cream out of the container nobody’s going to stop me…except, hopefully, me…
It’s not all bad, folks. 🙂